2013 Running Diary #13: St. Luke’s Half Marathon

I’d been planning on running the St. Luke’s Half Marathon for months now, but races still have a funny way of sneaking up on you. Especially when you aggravate a nagging injury a mere two months before the big day. I probably increased my mileage too quickly in order to get in shape for the half marathon today, but it ended up working out in the end. I knew I more than likely wouldn’t be capable of a PR, since I was in much better shape last September when I did my last half marathon, but ultimately I was happy with how I raced.

Negative splits were my plan from the beginning, especially since I wasn’t entirely sure what kind of shape I was in. So I went out conservatively, hardly batting an eye as several runners I knew went out faster and as I was getting passed by quite a few fellow participants. I’d wanted to start with something around a 6:20 or 6:25 mile, but with adrenaline and a downhill start, it’s hard to hold back. My first mile was 6:08, but then I slowed way down to 6:28 for the second mile. But my breathing was fine, my legs felt good and I relished the thought of passing back a number of the runners who had just passed me.

From mile three to six, I ran alone and hovered around 6:05 for each mile. I eventually caught up to two friends of mine as the race turned into a park and we worked together as a pack. I was still feeling good, hardly even short of breath. Around the 7.5 mile mark, I got tangled up with legs of one of my friends as he went for a water at an aid station and I fell to the ground. Sure, I could’ve been mad or despondent, but I just bounced right back on my feet and got right back to running. If I stopped, even for a little, I knew all too well how hard it would be to get going again. And being the kind of runner I am, I didn’t want to lose time.

Adrenaline took over and I pulled away from my friends around 9.5 miles in. Once I hit the ten mile marker, the race really began for me and I dramatically brought down my pace. Over the last 5K, I averaged 5:35 miles as I continued to pass more runners. The sudden drop in pace was accompanied by a corresponding increase in my effort, meaning my once easy breathing became heavy pretty quickly. But I was determined to push it to the finish.

Ultimately, I finished with a 1:19:20. That time is a solid two and a half minutes off my PR (which also happens to be the only other half marathon I’ve run), but considering I didn’t have as much training as I would’ve liked and I took a spill, I was happy with it. Plus, I wasn’t even close to on pace for that kind of time for much of the race. Finishing a half marathon with a 17:23 5K is a pretty solid accomplishment in my book.

I really enjoyed the experience and I hope to do the St. Luke’s Half Marathon again next year. For now I’m going to take a week off to dress my wounds, ice, stretch out and rest up. Then, it’ll be time to start training for this year’s Steamtown Marathon. Until we meet again.

This entry was posted in Running, Scranton and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s